County Declares Illegal Immigration ‘Disaster’ to Tap Into Grant Funds
Fayette County Commissioners Court passed a disaster declaration concerning illegal immigration at their meeting last Thursday, June 26.
The declaration will allow Fayette County to qualify for grant funding through Operation Lone Star, the State of Texas’ task force to stop human smuggling, drug smuggling and illegal immigration across the southern border.
Emergency Management Coordinator Angela Hahn said that while Fayette County is not one of the counties part of Operation Lone Star, it could qualify for funding since it lies adjacent to two counties that are – Colorado and Gonzales.
Sgt. Randy Thumann of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office was on hand for the meeting. Thumann serves as a drug interdiction officer for the Sheriff’s Office.
“Thanks to Randy, I think he has made more cases pertaining to this than the counties that are already in the task force,” said Sheriff Keith Korenek.
“It’s not just illegals,” Thumann said. “It’s all cartel activities. We see a lot of it – drugs, illegals, money, guns. It all affects the County. It all runs through the County.”
County Judge Dan Mueller commended Thumann for his work.
“Most of the disasters are an emergency, but this is not, it’s a grant?” asked Pct. 1 Commissioner Jason McBroom.
“Yes,” Hahn said.
“That’s a very different scenario,” McBroom said.
Pct. 4 Commissioner Drew Brossmann asked how much the County might receive from the grant.
“It’s about $2 billion a year for the counties approved for it,” Thumann said. “It’s divided up and not all the same. It depends on the needs. Just for an example, Wharton PD, I just talked to them, and they got $350,000 in the first year.”
Commissioners unanimously approved the disaster declaration.
According to last year’s Operation Lone Star grant guidelines, the money could be used for pay and overtime for deputies and jailers, operating expenses, certain supplies, technology, travel and training. The guidelines prohibit spending grant funds for salary for elected or appointed officials, firearms, weapons, vehicles, aircraft, or to replace funds that have been budgeted for the same purpose through non-grant sources.
Commissioners set a new speed limit for West Parker Rd., Salem-Freyburg Rd., and Farek-Loth Rd. in Precinct 3 at 40 miles per hour. Pct. 3 Commissioner Harvey Berckenhoff said residents along those roads requested the speed limit due to increased traffic. Berckenhoff said he anticipates more and more speed limit requests as development increases in the rural areas of the County. Most county roads do not have a posted speed limit. Under state law, the speed limit for rural roads is 65 miles per hour unless the local governing body decides otherwise.
Commissioners approved subdivision requests from Brudder’s LLC for property located between Schulenburg and High Hill. They also approved a subdivision request from John Larson for property near Flatonia.
The Court approved pipeline road crossing requests from ET Gathering and Processing for pipeline crossings under Meiners Rd. and Schuster Rd. in Pct. 2 Housley Group submitted a request on behalf of Frontier Communications to install new buried fiber optic lines along Babylon Ln., Lloyd Ln., Frank Vacek Ln., Humplik Ln., Bilimek Rd., Oakland Rd., Klesel Rd., and Vacek Loop in Pct. 4. The Court approved the request. However, McBroom and Berckenhoff advised Brossmann to stay in close contact with the company due to problems they experienced with Housley Group on past projects.
The court acknowledged plans from Colorado Valley Telephone Cooperative to install fiber optic lines along Rabbs Prairie Rd. and Kirkham Rd. in Pct. 1, Schuster Rd. and Round Top Rd. in Pct. 2, and Wolters Rd. and Berger Rd. in Pct. 4.
Commissioners authorized the County Auditor to seek bids for a bridge replacement on Minarcik Rd. in Pct. 1. They also voted to begin paying the monthly bill from Fayette Water Supply Corporation for the Muldoon Park. The County owns the park. Muldoon Volunteer Fire Department had been paying the bill and requested the transfer.
The court authorized staff from the Elections Office to attend training in San Marcos next month. Elections Administrator Donna Macik said the training will cover a new software system for state elections. While speaking, she advised the Commissioners about some big changes to early voting that will come into effect next year. A new law passed this legislative session will eliminate the three-day break between the end of early voting and election day. Macik said the change may require additional election workers and labor expense since there will be less time to deliver election equipment to the election day voting locations.
Finally, Commissioners approved a renewal for health, vision and dental insurance for county employees. The court made some changes for the coverage plans it offers county employees. Commissioners increased employee contributions, especially for spouse, children or whole family coverage. The County was facing a 9.7 percent increase to insurance costs if it made no changes. This year, the County will pay approximately $3.136 million for employee health insurance. The cost would have been $3.44 million next year without any changes. With the changes, employee insurance will cost taxpayers an estimated $3.247 million.